We all know when something’s got its hooks into us, when the limits we face are those self-imposed. And when that familiar gnawing wakes us in the wee hours, relentlessly wills us, winds us up with whisperings of truth that we can no longer drown out or escape in the space between our busy, we also know it is time to take action.
The shape, size and weight of our vice matters not; it could be television, video games, our beverage of choice, chocolate, food in any form, shopping, a steamy love affair with our smart phone etc. These subtle (or not so subtle) distractions from a deeper life, may not be anonymous-meeting-and-sponsor-worthy (until they are), but regardless, they are robbing us of the life we deserve and so most assuredly require intervention.
The telltale is the grip it has on our freedom. When we realize avoidance has become our modus-operandi, it is essential to wake from the slumber of resistance and radically rise up.
Do you wake feeling called to action and then take it? Do you vibrate with joy or hum with deep abiding peace? Or do you ache with overwhelm? Do the tasks at hand make you want to throw the covers over your head or lose yourself in a pail of Haagen-Dazs or vat of vino?
Why wait a second to do that which will enlighten and enliven every experience you have yet to tap?
Ready or not, it’s time to take on…
Your XG Mission – rrRadical Release
Engage in the 3 Rs of Radical Release, Reflect, Release and Rejuvenate, to reconnect with and reclaim self-control, conscious decision making and the brilliant future you deserve, living the life you are called to embrace.
The 3 Rs of rrRadical Release:
Take time and space to become still and silent and simply consider your life and how you feel about it. Clear your mind of the daily dribbles and menial to-dos. Breathe long and slow and revel in the peace that flows. And then ask and answer the following questions:
- What distracts me from being present (rewards you think about, that you believe at this point get you through life’s challenges day-to-day (tv, a drink, a cigarette, a chocolate bar)? *Take note, rewards aren’t ‘bad’, but when we use them to escape from the life we’re living, they’re hiding a bigger shift that is required. You’ll know this by the emptiness you feel once you’ve finished the ‘reward’.
- What element of my life has control over me?
- What will my life look like if I release this habit, extreme behavior, addiction?
- What if I do nothing?
The answer(s) that rose to the top from the above questions, this is what you need to release. Maybe this is something you need to release for a lifetime or perhaps for a short time just to reign in control. Begin, simply begin.
- If it makes sense, give yourself a time frame, like one month.
- Create a plan for execution. Will you wean yourself off or go cold turkey? Whatever the ground rules you layout, stick to them.
- In some cases, you may want to reward yourself as a means of celebrating your success. (i.e. if you’ve gone sugar-free for 2-weeks, then maybe you indulge in a dessert (1) and then return to your regime the next day)
Through the process it is essential to benchmark success, journal at the beginning and throughout to be able to evaluate the journey and the outcome. So often, once we’ve fixed an aliment we can hardly remember that it was an issue in the first place and this is how we slip back into old patterns again and again.
Enjoy (externally) and InJoy (internally) the adventure to freedom that you have embarked on. Feel the rejuvenation of your body, brain and being. Envision and embrace your revitalized life and share your experience with others.
This is the way of the Mad Hero,
who enters in knowing that a passionate desire for more drives from within,
is called to remember the magnificence that exists and
claims the missions and life of an Xtraordinary Game-Changer
bound to shift the world for WoW!
Up up up and away my fellow XGer!
**This post is an excerpt from the book The Mad Hero’s Handbook, to be released Christmas 2016 ** If you’d like the pre-amble to ignite you on your XG Way, please click to receive your free copy of The Mad Hero’s Manifesto